Saturday, January 17, 2009

Our Carnelian Anniversary

My favorite number is seventeen. My birthday's on September 17th. Our anniversary is January 17th. And this anniversary is a big one! It's our seventeenth. Our Carnelian Anniversary. (Yes, I did have to look that up.) In honor of the day, here are seventeen tid-bits on the theme of meeting and loving my man.


  1. My love is a gifted musician. Can't really say enough about the music thing, because his talent is so phenomenal and such an intricate part of him.

  2. My man records books. For fun. He's taped Mormon Doctrine a few times. As a Man Thinketh by James Allen many, many times. He's currently moving though the works of Neal A. Maxwell. The dude listens to them while he's at work and in the car, then erases them.

  3. My sweetie changes diapers.

  4. He's a kid magnet. He doesn't do anything at all to attract the little monkeys but they love him.

  5. He's a lifetime member of the John Birch society. Political arguments broke us up several times while we were dating. Politics continued to be a touchy subject for us for the first decade of our marriage, but we finally negotiated a peace treaty. The terms are very snuggly.

  6. The man juggles.

  7. We both grew up in Davis, California a couple blocks away from each other and attended the same schools. My first year in Davis was my third grade year. He's four years older than me, so he'd moved on to the Jr. High. When I got to Jr. High, he'd moved on to the High School. By the time I got to High School, he and his family had moved to Grass Valley. I might have run into him at church but I joined the church when I was a sophomore and his family had already moved.

  8. When I was a kid I used to sing:

    I'm in love with a big blue frog,
    A big blue frog loves me.
    Its not as bad as it appears
    He wears glasses and he's six foot three.
    Well I'm not worried about our kids,
    I know they'll turn out neat.
    They'll be great lookin' 'cause they'll have my face,
    Great swimmers 'cause they'll have his feet!
    Destiny! Kismet! The man is 6'3", he wears glasses, and he has two webbed toes. (He's a normal pinky-beige, however.)

  9. I met my husband after a church dance in the parking lot. His insane friend asked my hot friend to dance. In the parking lot. She answered that there was no music. My music man sang a song for them and they danced right there. I was charmed, so when everyone went out to eat after the parking lot solo, I borrowed his jacket. I was cold, but I had ulterior motives. I was trying to steal it, so I'd have an excuse to call him later. He caught me as we were leaving, so I sheepishly handed it over. Busted. So embarrassing.

  10. When I moved into his ward about six months later, I carefully avoided him. I was dating someone else and my attraction to my future husband was a bit disconcerting.

  11. After I stopped dating the other fellow, I attended a ward family home evening. "Sardines" was the activity that night and I was "it." I chose a nice niche in the shrubbery for my hiding place. As my prey walked by, I gave him a hint. "Psst! In here!" And in he came. Yes! Then he proceeded to pull in the next person that went by. And the next one. And the next one. Hm. There seemed to be a lack of communication going on here.

  12. One day he stopped speaking to me, suddenly, inexplicably. I knew then that he knew The Secret. I liked him. He could tell and was appalled. I was heartbroken. Shortly thereafter, he came into Relief Society to make an announcement. As he turned bright red, tried to become invisible, and was barely able to squeeze out the message, I had a revelation: the man was shy! The man was shy and I'd been clueless. There's only one reason a shy guy stops talking to one of his gal pals. It was all I could do not to stand up, pump my fist into the air and yell "YES!"

  13. Did you really think I was going to write a thirteenth? You know me better than that.

  14. Our first date was a double date. The four of us had been hanging out as a group, but one Sunday, we played Trivial Pursuit, guys against girls. Losers to buy the winners dinner and a round of miniature golf. [BTW, they never stood a chance.] After miniature golf, we drove around in the foothills looking for some sort of astronomical phenomenon that was supposed to be happening. The only phenomenon I saw that night? My shy guy and I set our hands next to each other and our pinkies touched. After about ten minutes of that excitement, he HELD MY HAND!

  15. He kissed me for the first time a few nights later. Then he looked at me and whispered, "Does this mean I get to keep you?"

  16. He spontaneously proposed while I was studying for my Romantic Literature mid-term, abruptly halting my recital of Christibel. I flipped out. (Tend to do that. Perhaps you've noticed.) And made him withdrawal the offer. The next day, I didn't do so well on the exam due to my brain spinning like a top as I pondered my romantic life instead of delightfully morbid, supernatural poetry. A week later, I surprised him by inviting him to resubmit his offer.

  17. We were married in the Oakland Temple on January 17, 1992. For this life and for eternity.

  18. Those doubters who placed cash bets that we wouldn't make it a year lost. Big time.

12 comments:

Heidi said...

Loved every sweet romantic word of this! LOVED IT! I want to see a wedding picture!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey, where are you guys in the photo?

That was so cute and enchanting.

And guess what? My husband has webbed toes too! What are the chances?

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE James Allen's As a Man THINKETH. I use it in my class too.

Jami said...

None of my wedding photos are in a digital format. Taking them to Kinko's was on the list, but I didn't get to it.

The temple pic is a flicker photo, Crash. I don't think I'm in it. Could be. Stranger things have been known to happen. LIKE YOUR HUSBAND HAVING WEBBED TOES TOO!

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary!

I wanted to tell you Swirl and I have posted Michael's photo on our sandwritten.blogspot.com site.

((peace)) emily

Veiltender said...

Awww, I loved this post. I'd love to see a photo, but I also understand having physical photos that I know I'll never get to putting on my computer (and actually going to Kinko's never even crosses my mind).

I love how he proposed to you while you were studying for a final. Aww, who am I kidding, I loved it all. I'm such a sucker for real life romance. It's so much nicer, because you know it actually happened.

(and this is Thora, but I'm signed in as my husband, and too lazy to go switch it to myself).

Melanie Jacobson said...

Congratulations!

I love the pinkie flirting. So cute!

April said...

Congrats to you! Wishing you 50 more years of wedded bliss!

Heather of the EO said...

This is the sweetest thing. I love it. Thank you for sharing it.

Jo said...

What a sweet, sweet post! I had tears in my eyes. Did you know I spent a few years in Winters??? Probably before you were born, but still!

Jami said...

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping for many, many more happy years.

Wendy said...

I'm never going to be able to look at that man the same way! What a sweet tribute. I predict many more happy years together, IF you start obeying police officers with bullhorns!

Jami said...

That's what he said!